15 Ekim 2013 Salı

GNOME 3.10 Login Sound problem / Fedora 20


Hello good people of Fedora :)  ;

That's was mine another usual day to use "Fedora" but I was trying to adding new "startup" application into to on boot loading but interestingly I was see "GNOME Login Sound" in the list and I decided to check on that and what I understand this not working properly. Because reason is "freedesktop" sound-theme has no login or logout sound even in the source so that kind of problem just cause time delaying on login maybe not so much If It's not working why It should be enable ? Probably not.

Well then let's change that sound login and logout theme in order to make it work on Fedora 20 :)

First let's see the problem what we have in GNOME 3.10 session properties.

As normal user ;


# gnome-session-properties


Little Hint ; If you like to use GNOME 3.10 and wanna see "GNOME session-properties" on shell when you search not writing by command or ALT+F2 and write command combination.

Goto the ; /usr/share/applications and open "gnome-session-properties.desktop" file wtih your editor as root and you will see ;
...
...
NoDisplay=true
...
...
Option in file and we can change to make comment with "#" or change to value to "false" and you can see in your GNOME 3 application list or in search.

Okey so let's open the "Startup Applications Preferences" and we will find  "GNOME Login Sound" in the list ;


And When we click the edit button and copy the command from there and try in terminal ;


 Well... It's not what I was expected in the first place If no sound on login then this is normal result but not a good one :)

After my research what I understand is this sound not playing because there is no "desktop-login" sound in the "freedesktop" sound-theme package. I don't know why it's not included but I was have a lot of options

* Change sound-theme
* Copy from another sound-theme package
* Use custom sound file from my /home
* Disable and never use it, stay in silence <=(Not a option for me :) ) 

First let's check sound-theme and see what are we have;


Not such a big list and a little bit disappoint for me but this what we have and I think sound-themes must be refresh soon.

Also we gonna need "dconf-editor"  for change to sound theme.

For change process, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Sound#How_To
 
 When we change to sound and try to play with same command in above and that's works!

Another part If we change sound-theme and copy from another for login sound or something else ; sound-theme directory = /usr/share/sounds

I have warn you If you do something wrong or If you don't know how to do it and also you must be root don't try or at least If you mess-up "reinstall" package(s) and get thing make done.

After I read wiki I think GNOME or Fedora Sound SIG gonna create sound-theme for fedora and proper sound everyone. I'm not DJ or working on sound so much. I'd like to do something If something coming up for this.



That's all folk
Thank you
Onuralp SEZER
 Fedora Ambassador